Welcome Back Boilermakers!

Dr. Exum First Fountain Run, before

Welcome Back Boilermakers! New and old!  A few weeks of classes have passed and I hope that all of you are adjusting and settling in.  I love this time of the year, it gives me the chance to catch up with students from the previous year, and allows me to meet and welcome new students and staff.  This summer has been especially exciting for me.  Starting with Student Affairs STAR Family Convocation Program where I had a chance to meet some of the first year student’s families.  And concluding with the election of our President Elect, Governor Mitchel Daniels, who will be starting full time in January 2013, to participating in my first every Fountain Run along with Acting President Tim Sands, Provost Dale Whittaker, Dean of Students Danita Brown and Assistant Provost for Financial Affairs Connie Lapinskas and Director of Advancement David Lasater.  This fountain run was a celebration of being able to reach our goal of raising funds to fund the golden block P replicas that we give to families of students who have pass at our Golden Taps ceremony.

These are exciting times for us and I am looking forward to the 2012-2013 academic year.  The Division of Student Affairs has added new staff and in the process of developing new and engaging leadership programs for all our students.  With the 4-3-2-1 theme that the Student Government has adopted, we are engaged and committed to making sure that our students have the best experience while at Purdue.  The “4-3-2-1” model is simple, graduate within 4 years, graduate with a 3.0 GPA, study 2 hours for every hour you are in class, and engage in at least 1 leadership activity.  While we are here to assist you in every aspect of your career at Purdue University, we are also developing programs to help you engage, promote and build your leadership experience.  In my upcoming blogs, you will hear more from me about what we have planned for all our students in the areas of leadership, engagement, activities and so much more.

We Did It!!!

After running through the fountain. And Yes, David Lasater is wearing a full suit and tie.

While you will hear from me, I also want to hear from you.  On this page you will be able to post comments and ask questions.  I will respond to all questions that I am able to respond to and if you have a topic you would like me to address, I will do so as well.   Again, welcome back and remember the staff, faculty and administrators of Student Affairs are here to help in any way possible.