Want To Make An Impact At Purdue? Become a Resident Assistant!

Do you have what it takes?Have you ever wanted to be a part of something bigger than yourself? How about make have a meaningful purpose during your time here at Purdue?  Well, you can by becoming a Resident Assistant (RA)!

McCutcheon Hall RA Staff during summer trainingI knew about 3 weeks into my freshman year at Purdue that I wanted to become a resident assistant.  I am the type of person who likes to immerse themselves into their contiguous environment, in order to discover my surroundings.  To me, there was no better way to give back to students during my time at Purdue.  This gave me a platform to tell my college story to incoming freshman and provide them with helpful insight on how to make it through their first year as seamlessly as possible.  Fast forward to my junior year, I am now an RA at McCutcheon Hall and I could not be happier!

McCutcheon Hall RA ladies being silly before the RA BanquetWith that being said, the RA application for the 2013-2014 school year was released to the student body today and will remain up until October 31st.   This year, there have been a few minor changes to the hiring process. To start, first years are eligible to apply- as long as you have 40 credits by the end of the Spring Semester. Second, there is a 1-credit Residential Leadership Seminar that meets for 8 weeks for only an hour and forty-five minutes once per week – not too shabby if you ask me. You can knock out an elective credit while having a pretty interesting course that only lasts HALF the semester!

And you will find out whether or not you got the position BEFORE Spring Break. So that leaves you plenty of time to still find off campus-housing or even renew your residence hall living arrangements. Not only is it a very rewarding experience, it is also super fun!  You become a little family within your residence hall, your fellow RAs, and residents generally become some of your closest friends.

So really there is no reason not to give it a try! You’ve got nothing to lose but EVERYTHING to gain by becoming a University Residences RA for the 2013-2014 school year. The only question is DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES?

Apply NOW