Don’t Go Home Every Weekend

Students by Loeb Fountain (by Andrew Hancock/Purdue University)When I first came to Purdue, I was slightly overwhelmed by the number of people; and not having my family around to make me feel at home made things difficult as well. During my first week at Purdue, I made many friends, but I felt slightly uncomfortable because I was away from my family and friends that I grew up with. I would reminisce over the good times that I had at home and soon enough school started to feel very overwhelming.

The first weekend, I called my mom and dad and told them that I wanted to come home on the weekend and spend time with them. Of course, my parents welcomed me back home but encouraged me to stay at Purdue more weekends than I come home. In my mind the feeling of sharing a room, shower, and laundry machine with many others was terrifying. I thought there was no way to fight this uncomfortable feeling, so I wanted to go home each weekend to avoid it. I realized that this feeling was natural and many call it “homesickness”.

School started picking up more and more and the travel time for me to get home and come back to school was becoming an issue. I decided after a few times of making this trip to start sticking it out and staying at school on the weekends. By doing this, I gained the opportunity to meet so many new people and participate in a wider range of programs. Many would be surprised of how many different fun events and activities go on over the weekend.

Once you learn how to navigate and explore Purdue, the sky is the limit. So, relax! The time is going to pass anyways; spend it making memories on this campus.