Dr. Debasish Dutta named provost

Debasish Dutta
Dr. Deba Dutta will begin his duties as Provost on July 1, 2014

Purdue has just named Dr. Debasish Dutta, a PhD in Industrial Engineering (Purdue, ’89), as the next provost.  Coming from University of Illinois as dean of the graduate college, Dr. Deba Dutta will be responsible for all schools and colleges as well the soon to be combined divisions of Undergraduate Academic Affairs, Student Affairs, and Housing and Food Services.

“Purdue is among the top higher education institutions in the world, and I can’t think of a better place to serve as provost,” Dutta said. “The opportunity to work with world-class faculty and researchers, and particularly to work with President Daniels, is one I could not resist. The Purdue Moves are bold initiatives that will help build on the rich tradition of our land-grant mission, advance student success, and solve some of the world’s greatest challenges. Purdue has an extraordinary past and an even brighter future, and I look forward to being a partner in its progress.”

Relating to students: Pink Floyd or One Direction?

One Direction
Quick poll: Do Purdue students listen to One Direction?
Dark_Side_of_the_Moon
Or do Boilermakers prefer Pink Floyd, like Dr. Dutta?

During last month’s provost selection presentations, Dr. Dutta was asked by a student how he intends to include students in the collaborative process. He described the current generation of  students as “very different” from his own. Dr. Dutta said students today are “uniquely positioned to address issues.” 

“I listen to Pink Floyd. You listen to One Direction. I’m going to a One Direction concert with my daughter.”

– Dr. Deba Dutta prompted laughter by relating to a younger generation through his own children

Welcome back to Purdue, Dr. Dutta! Some of us still listen to Pink Floyd. Boiler Up!

Dr. Dutta will begin his duties July 1 .

Source: Purdue announces Debasish Dutta as next provost